EP 8 - David Canter & Scott Slater of Fidelity Clearing & Custody Solutions
In the eighth episode of The COO Roundtable, Matt sat down with David Canter and Scott Slater of Fidelity Clearing & Custody Solutions. David is the Executive Vice President and Head of the RIA Segment at Fidelity. A lawyer by trade, David has been in the industry for 25 years and has been involved in everything from setting up RIAs from a legal and compliance perspective to helping them grow and scale from a practice management standpoint. Scott is the Vice President of Practice Management and Consulting at Fidelity. He helps some of the largest firms in the industry work through their M&A strategy and is also host of the Future Ready Through M&A Podcast. Matt, David, and Scott sit down to discuss their unique perspective into RIAs of various shapes and sizes across the country and much more, including:
- David and Scott’s respective professional backgrounds and how those affect their roles today
- The evolution of the Chief Operating Officer role and how they can help a firm navigate the greater RIA ecosystem
- How Fidelity is working with firms outside of their clearing and custody solutions
- The four areas Fidelity focuses on to help take RIAs to the next level
- Scott’s take on what Buyers and Sellers need to do in order to be successful in the M&A market
- David’s perspective on the profit vs. growth debate
- Their thoughts on why professional management tends to fail at RIAs
We hope you enjoy, share, and subscribe!
To read a full transcript of this episode, please click here.
We are increasing the frequency of our own RIA practice management articles – to sign up to be notified of new content, click here.
Check out Scott’s favorite entrepreneurship book, The E-Myth Revisited, here.
Check out David’s favorite entrepreneurship podcast, Startup, here.
Fidelity Clearing & Custody Solutions® provides clearing, custody, or other brokerage services through National Financial Services LLC or Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC, Members NYSE, SIPC.
Fidelity is not affiliated with PFI Advisors.