EP 12 – Mark Tibergien & Karen Novak of BNY Mellon Pershing
December 3, 2019, by PFI Advisors
Tags: PFI Related, Podcasts
In the 12th episode of The COO Roundtable, Matt welcomes Mark Tibergien and Karen Novak of BNY Mellon Pershing.* Mark, CEO, Advisor Solutions, BNY Mellon Pershing is a monumental figure in the RIA space and a true champion of professional management in the RIA industry. Similarly, Karen has contributed thirty years to the financial services industry, twenty-three of which have been at Pershing, where she serves as Chief Operating Officer, Advisor Solutions, BNY Mellon Pershing. With the goal of highlighting the importance of professional management when it comes to the COO role, Matt, Mark, and Karen sit down to discuss what key metrics a COO should consider when seeking to execute the vision for the firm and much more, including:
- The benefits of a good cultural fit between the CEO and COO and how they can enhance firm-wide growth through a joint effort
- How Karen helps make Pershing an “employer of choice” by thinking through the employee experience from onboarding through succession planning
- Mark’s six components of a successful business and how the COO can drive those standards of excellence forward
- The importance of re-evaluating and adjusting business plans and admitting when the direction of the firm might need resetting
- Understanding the three biggest trends every firm owner should be mindful of
- Matt’s unbridled joy at speaking with his personal hero Mark Tibergien (are you familiar with Eddie Van Halen’s idolization of Eric Clapton?)
We hope you enjoy, share, and subscribe!
Sign up here to be notified of new practice management content added to our blog on a regular basis.
*This interview was conducted on November 18th, prior to the Schwab-TD Ameritrade merger announcement on November 21st.